Pets & Wildlife

This page has been created to allow for the sharing of information among residents.  Please feel free to use the comment area below to ask questions or share what you’ve learned about coping humanely with deer and other wildlife in our area.

Lost & Found Pets:  Please see our separate Lost & Found page on this site under Community.  You may also wish to check with Virginia Beach Animal Control (Link) or file found/missing report with the Virginia Beach SPCA (link)

Great Info about Pets in VB can be found at ‘s website.  Check it out and learn about licensing, safety planning for your animals, and more!


Poop Pollutes …. but it doesn’t have to. Please Scoop the Poop.

  • Please do your part to keep our streets, yards, and trails clean.


Did You Know…?

Attention, Kitties & Pups:

“No animal is permitted to run at large within the City. This includes both dogs and cats.”  For more info click here.


Residents with concerns re: noise disturbances from continual barking should, if unable to resolve with the pet own, contact the Virginia Beach non-emergency communications number, 385-5000 to log a complaint. An officer will respond. Complainants can remain anonymous.  City Code – Barking.


Residents concerned about  hawks in our area should visit the State of Virginia’s Department of Game & Inland Fisheries. Hawks are raptors and the concern is that they may cause harm to our smaller pets.  Additional info and links can be found through the Virginia Beach City website.


Deer in an Urban Area

(from Dept. of Game & Inland Fisheries)

Deer are generally considered a nuisance when they are eating gardens or expensive landscaping plants. The best way to solve this problem is to plant things deer don’t like to eat. This usually includes plants like juniper, hawthorne, or other prickly/thorny plants. The next best way to prevent them is to exclude them from coming at all.

  • Build a 5-8 foot fence around your garden. This is the single best method.
  • Have a dog roam your yard. Deer will usually not visit properties with dogs.
  • Loud noises or hazing sometimes works, but they can become accustomed to these activities.

After trying these, you can also attempt to use chemicals which taste bad or smell bad (to the deer anyway).

  • There are a variety of products that can be used to make the plants unpalatable. Most of these have a pepper or sulfur-base. You can make your own out of cayenne pepper, rotten eggs, or moth balls. Some of the commercially available products are supposed to last through a couple of rain events, but most will wash off with the first rain.
  • Products to scare the deer away generally contain coyote urine, sulfur, or human scents. You can try to make your own with human hair, soap, or perfume/cologne. There are also fertilizers that are made from bio-solids that have shown some success, but they have a very bad odor, even to humans.

Injured Deer (from DGIF)

White-tailed deer fawns are born April through July, with the majority of births in June. Most does will have one fawn each year, but occasionally twins or triplets are seen. From birth the fawns are left alone while their mothers go off to feed. The mothers will stay away from the fawns to avoid leading predators to their location. They will return at dusk and dawn to move and/or feed their young.

If you find a deer fawn:

  • Is the fawn injured (bleeding, broken bones, wounds, caught on a fence, etc.)?
    • If YES, contact your nearest wildlife veterinarian or rehabilitator for treatment.
    • If NO, it is normal for fawns of any age to be left alone all day. Never expect to see the mother come back to the fawn while you are in the area. The mother will return to care for it if you leave it alone. You can check back in 24-48 hours. The mother should have moved the fawn. Never chase a fawn to capture it. Exception: if the mother is known to be dead (you have seen the fawn near the body and know it to be the mother), contact a state licensed deer rehabilitator in your area. Orphaned fawns will need to be cared for until they are old enough to be released in early Fall.

Note: Each animal’s nutritional, housing and handling requirements are very specific and must be met if they have any chance of survival. Raising a wild animal in captivity is illegal unless you have a state permit. For information on how you can become a licensed wildlife rehabilitator, contact The Wildlife Center of Virginia or the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.

The information in this article was provided by THE WILDLIFE CENTER OF VIRGINIA, P.O. BOX 1557, WAYNESBORO, VIRGINIA 22980. Phone 540-942-WILD;  FAX 540-943-WILD;  Web site: E-mail address:


VA BEACH Animal control does not provide wildlife removal service but may remove injured or sick animals for the safety of residents.  For more information explore the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries site  (click here).